The Walter and Marilyn Barbe Wayne County Glass Gallery
The Walter and Marilyn Barbe Wayne County Glass Gallery is located just past the first room of the gift shop in the original section of the Christian Dorflinger home. Wayne County had over 70 glass manufacturers and cutting and decorating shops, of which more than 30 are represented.
A large dark olive colored carboy (a large bottle used for holding corrosive liquids) made at the second glass factory in Wayne County outside of Bethany (1816-1848) and a bottle and basket from Honesdale Glass Works (1846-61; 1873-97) represent the earliest of the three area factories. Only a framed shard of glass represents the Rockville (1807-1819) factory site where windowpanes were being made by the cylinder method and being shipped to Philadelphia
The shelves in one case show the steps in cutting glass, a technique introduce into the county by Dorflinger in 1867. An example of a plain blank, the first step of this process is followed by the blank marked in red lead for the cutter to lay over the pattern. The next shelf shows an example of a piece rough cut with an iron wheel, the first stage of the cutting process. The smoother then fills in the more intricate lines. The final step is polishing of the glass, earlier with a wooden wheel or brush and later by acid dipping. Examples of hand polishing and acid dipping are seen throughout the gallery.
Among those factories represented in the gallery are:
Clinton Cut Glass Company (1904-1917)
Enterprise Cut Glass Company (1904-1906)
Feeney & McKanna, and McKanna Cut Glass Company (1906-1928)
Hatch & Clark, T. B. Clark (1884-1927)
Herbeck-Demer Cut Glass Company (1906-1910)
Honesdale Cut Glass Company (1902-1906)
Irving Cut Glass (1900-1933)
J. S. O’Connor (1890-1902).
Kelly & Steinman (1895-1912)
Keltz-Myers, Frank J. Myers & Son (1906-1910)
Keystone Cut Glass Company (1902-1918)
Krantz & Smith, Krantz & Sell, G. Sell & Co. (1898-1932)
Maple City (1898-1911)
Many of these were cutting shops that bought uncut, blown glass blanks from Dorflinger and then cut their own patterns on them. This can make identifying the factory difficult. Several of these cutting shops managed to survive into the early 1930s.